Lake Tahoe Community College is approved for certification of students eligible to receive educational assistance from the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA). Students eligible to receive DVA benefits must be enrolled in a program leading to a certificate, Associate of Arts degree, or classes appropriate for transfer.
New student orientation is your chance to get to know Lake Tahoe Community College and to learn about the information, resources, and tools you need to be successful.
We offer an Online Orientation for students who are enrolled in Distance Education.
Orientation is REQUIRED if you intend to work toward one or more of the following:
• Associate's Degree
• Transfer program to earn a Bachelor's degree
• You are currently undecided on your educational goal, but are considering one of the
Orientation is NOT REQUIRED if:
• You have already completed an Associate's degree or higher
• You are taking courses for personal interests, to upgrade/enhance job skills, to
maintain a certificate or license, or to complete credits for high school.
Note: Students who qualify as exempt should contact the Counseling Office
English, English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) and math placement tests are a way to help you enter college at the right level. Placement tests assess your math, reading and writing skills and your counselor will use this information to help you choose the right math and English classes.
Assessment tests are not timed and are administered on a first come first serve basis.
• Verifiable photo ID
• LTCC Student ID number
• Register for FAFSA financial aid
• Schedule a meeting with a counselor at the One-Stop located in room A100
For information regarding your eligibility to receive VA benefits, contact the DVA at 1(888) 442-4551. Detailed information regarding VA can also be obtained at the following website: https://www.gibill.va.gov
If you have never received educational benefits before, please complete these steps:
• Complete an "Application for VA Education Benefits" (form 22-1990)
• Complete VA form 22-5490 if you are an eligible dependent of a veteran who was permanently and/or totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty.
• Provide your DD-214, Member 4 copy of your discharge papers.
• Send official transcripts of all previous educational work to the One-Stop office.
• If you are a Reservist, please present a copy of your DD-2304 "Notice of Basic Eligibility" (NOBE).
• LTCC recommends that veterans file the "Free Application for Student Aid" (FAFSA). For more information, please visit the financial aid page.
If you are transferring benefits from another college or university, please complete these steps:
If you are currently or have previously received benefits at LTCC, please complete these steps:
Veterans who have an honorable discharge (as certified on their DD214) will receive quarter unit equivalent credit in the following areas:
• Veterans will be granted four quarter units of credit to count in Area 6 of the LTCC-GE pattern, or four units of degree-applicable elective credit
• Veterans who plan to graduate LTCC using the CSU-GE pattern, and veterans who plan to complete CSU-GE for transfer, will be granted four quarter units of credit in Area E of the CSU GE pattern.
Did you leave active duty in the past two years? You may be eligible to enroll on the first day of priority registration for the next quarter.
Bring your DD-214 or other documentation showing the date you left active duty to the One-Stop to qualify. (Students who are currently on active duty may also qualify for priority registration.)
If you have any questions, please contact the One-Stop office.